Apr 30, 2018
SMITH+GARDNER Sponsors the 2018 DaVinci’s Dragons Science Olympiad Teams
INVOLVEMENT – Smith+Gardner is proud to be a sponsor of the 2018 DaVinci’s Dragons Science Olympiad Teams where Middle and High School students compete and are recognized for their academic efforts in science and technology. Davinci’s Dragons team performed well at the Regional event and earned their place at the statewide competition where they medaled in four events.
Participation in Science Olympiad provides future generation of scientists the opportunity to further their love of learning and developing the following skills:
- How to “Think” — not just about a single subject, but to make connections with ideas by spending almost 8 months diving deep into a topic of interest.
- Teamwork — Science Olympiad teaches students how to work in small groups with a partner, but also to collaborate as part of a bigger team. Students see how their strengths can balance each other out to work together for optimum results.
- Discovering Passions –– Science Olympiad allows students to test out ideas, try on new passions and experience science in a hands-on way. Events may include everything from learning about plate tectonics, backyard biology, chemistry, forensics, diseases and more — and designing devices such as building rockets, helicopters, hovercrafts, airplanes and towers. There is so much to explore in Science Olympiad!
- Habits for Life — Not only are students learning about a subject academically, but it also teaches them life skills such as: how to break down a difficult subject and learn small amounts over time, trial and error of testing a device, recording and capturing results, innovating and learning from mistakes in design or testing, the beauty of teamwork and character lessons of working hard at something and sometimes getting rewarded for it, and sometimes not getting rewarded for it (the hardest lesson of all.)
- So Much More – such as critical thinking skills, friendships, advocating for yourself at competition, working with event supervisors, handling the intensity of competition, study skills, and making academics fun.
CONGRATULATIONS to all of the DaVinci Dragons who competed!